Seeking JoC Participants for Research about Supplementary School Experiences

Hello, my name is Hillary Pinsker Engler. I am a doctoral student of Jewish education at Gratz College. I am kindly requesting your participation in a research study I am conducting titled: Experiences of Jews of Color in Jewish Supplementary Schools.

Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this study is to gain insight into the experiences of Jews of Color (JoC) and their parents in majority-White supplementary schools in the United States, so that school leaders can better serve this growing and potentially underserved population.

Who Is Eligible to Participate in this Study?
Jews of Color (ages 15 and older) who are now or were recently (within the past 5 years) enrolled in a majority-White Jewish supplementary school (any affiliation/denomination, grades Kindergarten – 12th)

Parents of Jews of Color who are now or were recently (within the past 5 years) enrolled in a majority-White Jewish supplementary school (any affiliation/denomination, grades Kindergarten – 12th)

What does the Study Involve?
Participants will meet with me (on Zoom) for 2-3 informal interview sessions of approximately 1 hour each. I will do my best to offer times that are convenient for you.

Additional Information:
Participation in this study is completely voluntary, and no compensation will be provided.

Participants may withdraw from the study at any time for any reason.

The names and identities of participating individuals, institutions, and specific locations will be anonymized, and your identity will remain confidential.

If you would like to contribute to this important research by participating in the study, please email me at: hengler@student.gratz.edu. Please note that I am particularly interested in learning about the experiences of Black and Brown JoC in Jewish supplementary schools. Thank you!

Gratz College + graduate student