Jews of the World

Most American Jews have never heard of the Jewish holi­days of Sigd, Malida, and Mimouna, holidays celebrated (respect­ively) by Jews from Ethiopia and India, and by Sephardic Jews in the Arab world. But we’re all Jews! We need to know each other better. On Thursday, May 12, from 7-9 p.m., Hill Havurah, on the lower level of 212 East Capitol Street, NE, in Washington, DC, will host Jews of the World. At Jews of the World, a panel of repre­sen­ta­tives from the Sephardic, Ethiopian, and Indian Jewish communi­ties will speak about their community’s special traditions and observ­anc­es. The evening will include refreshments. Admission is free, will require registration, and will also be live-streamed.

To reg­ister to attend in person, or for fur­ther information, email jewsoftheworld2022@­gmail.­com, go to https://www.hillhavurah.org/form/worldjews-discussion-in-person-indoors.html, or call 202-729-3515.

At-Large DC Councilmember Elissa Silverman will introduce the panel, which will include Elliot Totah, presi­dent of Magen David Sephardic Con­gregation in Rockville, MD, the son of Seph­ardim from Syria and Leb­­anon; Sigal Sandaka, Jewish Agen­cy Israel Fel­low at George Wash­ing­ton University Hillel, from an Ethiopian family in Haifa; and Nis­sim Reuben, of the American Jewish Committee’s Asia Pacific Institute, from Ahmedabad, in western India. The panelists are available for interviews.

For contact infor­ma­tion, call or email jewsoftheworld2022@gmail.com.

Hill Havurah + Member

1 Response

• Catholic Jewish Women's Conference Los Angeles + Jewish Co-Chair

Hi Davvid:

I’m sure mine is not exactly the response you are looking for but, I’m the Jewish co-chair of the Catholic Jewish Women’s Conference of Los Angeles.  We are looking for a Jewish woman of color to speak at our annual conference on November 11 (on Zoom).  I thought that perhaps in your organization you might have found an engaging, enthusiastic speaker to recommend.

Please feel free to contact me at levinedp@gmail.com  or (818) 257-4330.

Diane Levine

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)