Director of Jewish Life at Sixth & I in Washington DC

Sixth & I is seeking a full-time Director of Jewish Life, reporting to the Senior Rabbi, Executive Director of Jewish Life, to join our Jewish Life team to manage our wide array of programs and community-building endeavors designed with those in their 20s and 30s in mind.

This position offers a flexible schedule for remote work, but must be located in the Washington, DC area to facilitate events-driven on-site work and two in-office days per week.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities:

Department Management:

Support Senior Rabbi in implementing their vision for Jewish Life at Sixth & I by providing strategic and operational leadership.

Collaborate with rabbis and organizational leadership to identify strategic goals and objectives for the Jewish Life team.

Be the primary driver and overseer of all Jewish Life programming, holding the broader vision/strategy of each program while connecting details of each program to that broader vision/strategy.

Develop and refine policies and procedures for all Jewish Life Team operations.

Collaborate with organizational leadership to create multi-year department budget in alignment with multi-year organizational budget.

Manage annual budget throughout the year, making monthly projection and individual event updates.

Coordinate and run weekly team meetings as well as recurring team retreats that include 3-6 months of advance program planning.

Manage a system of data collection and analysis, identify trends, and present findings to inform the team’s programming decisions and how to prioritize energy to achieve strategic goals.

Manage hiring processes for Jewish Life programming team.

Serve as direct supervisor to Jewish Life Program Associates.

Programming:

Strategically create and streamline systems to ensure exceptional programming.

Demonstrate entrepreneurial initiative by identifying opportunities for new programming while seeking creative ways to improve existing programming.

Oversee all High Holiday related programming and convene staff from across departments to foster collaborative efforts.

Oversee large audience holiday programming that requires full-team participation (i.e. Purim, Simchat Torah).

Directly support Jewish Life programming by serving on regular staff rotation for Friday nights and holidays (typically one night per week or weekend as dictated by programming calendar).

Work in partnership with Development department to write Jewish Life program grants, enact program evaluation, and identify new opportunities for funding.

Evaluate, select, and negotiate contracts with vendors.

Community-building:

Develop and manage key partnerships with local Jewish organizations in support of advancing Sixth & I’s goals.

Understand trends among those in their 20s and 30s in DC and the Jewish community that affect our programs and participants.

Build and maintain strong relationships with Sixth & I staff, constituents, and other stakeholders.

Assess and streamline system for team to track and manage relationships with constituents and other stakeholders.

WHO YOU ARE:
·       Experienced. You have event planning and program execution experience, plus a minimum five years of experience formally managing other adults in a professional setting.
·       Organized and systems oriented. You have demonstrated experience in project management and strategic planning. You know how to manage multiple projects and create systems and processes to help a team successfully meet its goals.
·       Highly motivated. You’re a self-starter who knows how to turn ideas into reality. You know how to effectively delegate, engage others to support your larger vision, and empower your team to do their best work.
·       Detail-oriented. You have a keen attention to detail and can efficiently multitask.
·       A team player. You are receptive to feedback and demonstrate care and concern for Sixth & I’s organizational reputation in your approach to work. You are passionate about being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven organizational culture.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
·       Salary: Sixth & I has a comprehensive pay equity philosophy which weighs years of experience and competency to determine an equitable salary within our organization. This role sits in Sixth & I’s Level 4 salary band with a minimum starting salary of $90,640.
·       FLSA Status: Exempt
·       Benefits: Sixth & I has a competitive benefits package that includes Health, Vision and Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Retirement Savings w/ Matching Program, Pre-tax Transit Benefit, Paid Holidays, Parental Leave and more. In addition to regular vacation time and summer Fridays, our office is closed the week of July 4th and between Christmas and New Year’s, as well as for select Jewish holidays.

HOW TO APPLY:
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with a deadline of Wednesday, February 7. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to jobs@sixthandi.org with your name and “Director of Jewish Life” in the subject line. No phone calls or emails please. Candidates will be contacted if there is an opportunity to be interviewed by Friday, February 9. The anticipated new hire for this position will start by April 1.

Sixth & I is an equal employment opportunity employer. Systemic inequities in hiring have caused many women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ people to apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. If you don’t have all of the qualifications listed but are extremely organized, passionate about our mission, and believe you have applicable and transferable skills from other industries, we encourage you to apply for this job.

WHAT IS SIXTH & I?
Sixth & I is a center for arts, entertainment, ideas, and Jewish life in Washington, DC. We inspire more meaningful and fulfilling lives through an unexpected mix of experiences that embrace the multi-faceted identities of those we serve. Housed within a revitalized historic synagogue dating back to 1908 in the heart of the Nation’s Capital, Sixth & I reimagines how culture, community, and Jewish life can enhance people’s everyday lives. Across wide-ranging, thought-provoking, and accessible experiences, we celebrate the unexpected intersections between culture and spirituality and, in so doing, expand our sense of what’s sacred.

Sixth & I + Director of Community Impact & Organizational Culture