Job Description for Senior Director of Programs – October 2021
ABOUT THE INITIAITVE
The Jews of Color Initiative is a U.S.-based and centered effort focused on building and advancing the professional, organizational, and communal field for Jews of Color.
The Initiative focuses on grant making, research and field building, and community education, and hosts the nation’s first ever philanthropic and capacity building fund expressly dedicated to responding to racial injustice through helping further establish, fortify and build out the field of support for Jews of Color.
The Jews of Color Initiative is an organization growing in terms of size, scale, reach, and budget. To that end, the Jews of Color Initiative is seeking a Senior Director of Programs who is excited about helping to lead the Jews of Color Initiative in its next stage of impact and excellence.
About the Role
The Senior Director of Programs helps lead the JoCI’s effort to deliver research, frameworks, ideas, efforts, programs, and thought partnership to the communal ecosystem. With the Executive Director and Programs Coordinator, the Senior Director of Programs oversees and delivers flagship Initiative programs (e.g., our fellowships, incubators, and professional development programs as well as our research education programs) and supports the development and delivery of general Initiative programs (e.g., community networking and pilot programs), ensuring their excellence and success. They report to the Executive Director, and supervise the Programs Coordinator and the Director of the New York Hub.
The Senior Director of Programs will also play a key role on the JoCI leadership team. Senior Directors are responsible for supporting and engaging with all Staff and modeling the culture and values that JoCI holds. To that end, Senior Directors must be regularly available for their teams and JoCI leadership, and must deftly manage work and projects, deadlines and details in ways that excellently support Staff, leadership, and the JoCI.
Core Areas of Responsibility
Program and Organizational Leadership
- Working with the Executive Director and Programs Coordinator, deliver the JoCI’s programs, conceptual frameworks, data, efforts, and vision
- Work with the JoCI team to identify, develop, and deliver program opportunities (cutting edge fellowships, pilot grantmaking programs, new and nascent program ideas)
- Scan the country for potential partnerships, make connections, and nurture relationships
- Support JoCI team members with their programs, workshops, and events
- Identify and engage mission-aligned Initiative program opportunities
- Hold and treat the Initiative’s work with intentionality, care, and absolute discretion
- Support all aspects of the planning and implementing cutting edge, fast-paced, national Initiative
- Collaborate with other staff when appropriate
- Advance the profile and reputation of the Initiative
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Research, Strategy and Evaluation
- Oversee strategy, development, and implementation of Initiative programs
- Support design and implementation of evaluation tools for Initiative programs
- Develop deep understanding of, and facility with, the JoCI reports and surveys, and partner with the Executive Director to lead programs and conversations
- Produce and distribute correspondence, reports, memos, letters, and forms
- Create relevant presentations and reports
- Support the maintenance and dissemination of a resource list of trainers and media recommendations
Management and Supervision
- Supervise and manage Programs Coordinator
- Supervise and manage the Director of the New York Hub
- Understand, support, and ensure the successful work of team members
- With Senior Director of Operations, conduct performance evaluations that are timely and constructive
- Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence for team members
- Model effective and inspiring leadership by being actively involved in all programs and services, developing a broad and deep knowledge of all programs
- Identify opportunities for the Jews of Color Initiative to leverage cross-program/cross-organizational strengths to take advantage of new opportunities and/or to address organizational or field challenges
- Work with the Senior Director of Operations to ensure operational excellence in all aspects of JoCI programs
• Minimum BS/BA degree, Graduate degree preferred, with a focus in Education or the Social Sciences, and at least 10 years of experience and a track record in senior program leadership
• Leadership experience in the Jewish nonprofit sector, in either a professional or volunteer capacity
• Excellence in organizational management
• Deep experience in program budgeting, organizational and fiscal management
• Analytic, creative, and decisive decision-maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate key objectives and tactics to Staff to achieve organizational goals
• Unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence, always modeling organizationally-aligned leadership excellence
• Unshakable commitment to getting every job done on time, with excellence and grace
• Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and focused on seeing opportunities and taking initiative
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills
• Authentic enthusiasm working in an organization that is both hierarchical and where leadership is distributed
• Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
• Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations
• Specialized experience with the field of Jews of Color
• Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The compensation for the Senior Director of Programs role is $115,000 – $125,000 and comes with excellent benefits.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
The Senior Director of Programs role is remote, will sometimes work inside an office environment, as well as indoor and outdoor venues on occasion.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL TASKS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continual sitting, standing, typing, and repetitive computer use. Occasional walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, pushing, pulling, lifting, kneeling, and twisting. Frequently communicates with others and must be able to exchange accurate information.
This application requires a resume and a video.
Your resume should be no longer than 2 pages and should include a list of 3 references.
Your video should be no longer than 2 minutes and can be sent as an MP4, MOV, or WMV file.
In your video, outline the following:
• What about this opportunity interests you?
• What about you and this role are a great fit?
• Relevant experience that suggests you’ll be successful in this role
Please email your submissions to email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Jews of Color Initiative provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, the organization affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.